Re:Call 6 Interview Rebecca Gamble


Art has left the Building

Re:Call Interview



1) When were you at Bournville School of Art?

2002 - 2005

2) What course did you study here?

BA Art and Design by Negotiated Study

3) Who were your tutors?

Kevin Harley, Bob Jardine and Alf Pendleton. Tutorials with Nigel Prince, Kelly Large, Tom and Simon Bloor.

4) What area did you specialize in?

I experimented throughout the course really, but mostly worked with traditional and digital photography, installation, and in my final year, interventions.

5) What memories do you have of your first day at Bournville School of Art?

I don’t recall my first day exactly, but I do remember my first visit to Bournville School of Art for my interview very well. I was 17 years old and at a delicate point in my education, ready to give it up altogether due to not suiting an academically driven sixth form college. I was the last to be interviewed that day and was surprised to be met by seven interviewers. I had a lively and friendly conversation with them about my work and artist influences and remember leaving very high spirited.

6) What memories do you have of your final show at Bournville School of Art?

Preparing for the final show I remember lots of trips to Wickes and Express Polythene in Digbeth, chatting and smoking roll-ups with my tutor and chasing fellow students for their postcards for the catalogue.

7) What piece did you do for your final show at Bournville and could you describe it?


Information Point Service was a functional, yet fictional information point constructed in IPS: International Project Space. The seemingly authentic construction was situated near the entrance to the gallery space, where an information point is typically situated, however the construction was left un-painted, hinting to its inauthenticity. Originally it intended to create a space in which the audience could encounter books made capturing a series of observations and interventions in Birmingham. It later became much more interactive with the site, other graduates and audience. Throughout the weeklong exhibition I added information to the installation and interacted with gallery visitors – offering fictional tours of the final show exhibition and hand-made exhibition catalogues.








8) Could you give just five words to describe your experience at Bournville School of Art?

Experimental, playful, supportive, self-motivated, valuable.

9) Could you indicate what creative activity you have done since your time at Bournville?

I studied MA Interactive Art and Design at University College Falmouth and after graduating undertook a period of practice-research as an associate artist at University of Worcester as part of the National AA2A scheme, supported by CHEAD and Arts Council England. During this period I participated in the temporary pubic art exhibition Two and a Half Hours of Oxygen in Birmingham.

After moving to Nottingham in 2008 I began working at Surface Gallery, an independent art gallery supporting early-mid career artists and later joined the committee (2008-2011) to develop the exhibition programme, artist studios and residencies. In 2009 I began a practice-as-research PhD in the School of Art and Design at Nottingham Trent University.

I am currently based between Nottingham and Worcester; working from an artist studio and a member of the board of directors at Primary, an artist-led space in Nottingham that exists to support creative research and to develop new ways of engaging with audiences, and teaching New Media and Professional Practice at University of Worcester.

I archive my practice and exhibitions on my website.

10) Could you describe your current creative practice/ideas/work?

I would say that my work operates in the practical and theoretical sphere of interactivity, bringing into play modes of social exchange, audience engagement, and participatory performance. I work site-responsively and approach urban and online spaces as my playground and stage, intervening with tactics, actions and games.

In my current practice-as-research, the convivial mode of hospitality is tested as an artistic methodology to activate audiences in participation and radical investigation. Using a playful, participatory and performative practice, I am researching how we live, relate and interact in virtual environments while addressing the theories, ‘tactics’ and ‘constructed situations’ of Michel de Certeau and Guy Debord. This practice-as-research has so far included a speed-dating event with avatars between a physical and virtual café, an experimental dance workshop using the gestures menu from Second Life, and performative interventions as Mariela, my digital avatar.

11) Could you say a little about the work you have chosen to include in the Re:Call exhibition?

I have chosen to share the traces and documentation of a live intervention as my digital avatar Mariela, which took place in a café during an art festival in Nottingham, Mariela: cmd, click, control. The piece followed a series of practice-led research into how we communicate online, focusing on the virtual world of Second Life in which avatars communicate mostly through a menu of gestures.

Mariela: cmd, click, control intends to question the increasing familiarity of modes of online communication through re-framing and re-performing them in a physical everyday space. During the live event café customers could place an order with a waiter from the menu of gestures to instruct Mariela’s movements, performed one-to-one at tables. It becomes a digital performance work without any technology present, where the audience determines the movement and duration of the live one-to-one performances.

This is the first time I have shown this material (video documentation, hostess trolley, the menu, order tickets, left-over tea and biscuits) as a piece of work in an exhibition context and intends to consider the role of the document in live artistic practice.

12) What are you working on at the moment?

I am currently living in the Library working on my PhD thesis.

13) What are your creative plans for the future?

To play, to travel, to collaborate...

14) Is there anything else you would like to add?

Thank you to Amanda for the invitation and for being such an enjoyable person to work with in an ambitious exhibition programme. I was delighted to get an opportunity to show work with Emily Warner, a close friend after first meeting at Bournville School of Art ten years ago, and an artist I continue to gain much inspiration from, in her practice and in our collaborative projects.