Re:Call 6 Interview Emily Warner


Art has left the Building

Re:Call Interview



1) When were you at Bournville School of Art?

I studied a full time degree, graduating in 2005


2) What course did you study here?

BA Hons Art & Design by Negotiated Study


3) Who were your tutors?

Kevin Harley, Alf Pendleton, Bob Jardine amongst others


4) What area did you specialize in?

Intervention, installation, sound


5) What memories do you have of your first day at Bournville School of Art?

Wondering where all the people were, baked potatoes and pepper sachets.


6) What memories do you have of your final show at Bournville School of Art?

Relief and achievement. Excitement and fear.


7) What piece did you do for your final show at Bournville and could you describe it?

Exploring psychological shifts in awareness, with a particular interest in film sets, I devised a vacated scenario in the gatehouse and a sound intervention in the Courtyard. Dislocated ringing from unseen telephones bellowed out in the courtyard, whilst in the gatehouse an off the hook telephone spewed out a dial tone punctured with fractured interference and a suggestion of intrusion. The piece was titled ‘Phone Rings’ and it went on to be shown in the Midwest graduate showcase that year. Michelle Cotton from S1 artspace wrote this about the piece:

In the darkness there's a low sound. A pool of yellow light on a desk shows a typewriter, a stack of paper and an old phone, receiver off the hook and broadcasting an unbroken dial tone. The typescript reads ominously ''phone rings...''. Is the narrative fragment in Emily Warner's installation begining or end? Are we being invited to imagine what drama follows or peice together a story of something that has already taken place?’











8) Could you give just five words to describe your experience at Bournville School of Art?

Fundamental / Relationships / Liberating / Forging / Directional


9) Could you indicate what creative activity you have done since your time at Bournville?

Since graduating I have worked as a creative facilitator within an educational context and developed working relationships with a group of artists as the Hive collective making and showcasing work whenever possible. I blog about things here and archive stuff here.

10) Could you describe your current creative practice/ideas/work?

I am currently developing a body of work created throughout a yearlong collaborative project called Chain Reaction. With an interest in gesture, motive, shift and change I am now exploring ways in which we interact and respond to our surroundings, and the parallels that exist between our ways of being and the external environment. I am exploring the medium of film as an output to work with and revisiting my interest in the use of sound and audio.


11) Could you say a little about the work you have chosen to include in the Re:Call exhibition?

I have presented a film sketch I created during the Chain Reaction project. Re:Call has provided an ideal framework for me to reconnect with this particular enquiry which engages the changing light of a traffic signal in a metaphorical sense. In line with the time frame within which the art faculty has operated at Bournville I have presented a loop of film timed at 11min 11sec.  I’m particularly interested in how this relates to my focus on shift and change, comings and goings – a vacated street saturated with the cycle of shifting illuminated instructions. I have given the piece a working title of ‘Untitled Agenda’ and have utilised a blank reel out of date office paper as a backdrop for the projection. I am excited about the fact that the film, the paper and the frame structure will generate new narratives once in situ, and work in dialogue with Rebecca Gamble’s work (we studied our BA together at Bournville).


12) What are you working on at the moment?

I am currently collating the collective work I have been engaged in with Hive and seeking opportunities to showcase our practice on a wider scale. I have also instated a change of direction within my current professional activity in order to focus more deeply on my personal practice and forge opportunities in new directions. So currently happily lost in the present.


13) What are your creative plans for the future?

I am starting to devise projects that will place creative activity and output in new contexts, and explore the relationship between art and leisure. I am searching out residency opportunities and continuing to produce new work in line with my current enquiries.


14) Is there anything else you would like to add?

It’s a wonderful coincidence that at a time when I have pressed the ‘reset’ button on my motion, I have found myself back where I started - reconnecting with the foundations that put me in the creative position I am now. The short story featured here by Jonathan Nolan, heavily influenced my Chain Reaction research. It wasn’t until recently that I realised it was also the basis for the film Memento which directly informed my degree work ‘Phone Rings’. I have been revisiting a lot of my early processes, references and concepts during recent projects, and it has reiterated the significance of the arts education I received at Bournville. I am grateful to have been invited to be a part of this project and the reflection it has afforded on my practice.