Re:Call 5 Interview Geraldine Marshall


Art has left the Building

Re:Call Interview

Geraldine Marshall


1) When were you at Bournville School of Art?

2006-2010.

2) What course did you study here?

BA(hons) Visual Arts by Negotiated Study (full time).

3) Who were your tutors?

Steve Bulcock, Sean O’Keeffe, Kevin Harley, Ruth Claxton

4) What area did you specialize in?

Lettering/ typography

5) What memories do you have of your first day at Bournville School of Art?

Very apprehensive, have I made the right decision. The focus on the course was very much on the term ‘negotiated’, so basically it was self directed how you as a student directed your own area of study.  I had just found out I was expecting my first child, who arrived the following year during my study so I did produce a Bournville Art baby, Oh and the introduction to  ‘Tom Jones’ who designed the course talking to us fresher’s and thinking what an unfortunate name to have, by association.

6) What memories do you have of your final show at Bournville School of Art?

Thank goodness that is all over (in a good way), and a sense of achievement of finally completing my first degree as a ‘mature’ student, mixed with a sense of sadness it had come to an end.

7) What piece did you do for your final show at Bournville and could you describe it?

I made amongst other items a three-dimensional 8ft sculptural letter formation of several abstract letters elements amalgamated together, suggesting the creation of a new typeface Bastardised.  To support this I presented a display case of the visual research of the development of Bastardised from the photographic documentation of lettering within the urban environment to its printed form.







8) Could you give just five words to describe your experience at Bournville School of Art?

Sometimes: I’ll get my coat now.
Mostly: Enjoyable. Challenging. Frustrating. Hard Work.

9) Could you indicate what creative activity you have done since your time at Bournville?

I am now a postgraduate research student so a lot of my time is taken up with the academic research of reading, and most importantly photographing and documenting the visual language of public lettering and typography within the environment.  The title of my research is, Taxonomy of Birmingham (UK) lettering.  The aim of this research is to develop and implement taxonomy to record the typography and lettering of a UK city - such as Birmingham.  To introduce taxonomy of lettering to be used to successfully collate, categories and analyse the graphic landscape of a city; and to examine the city’s social, cultural, ethnic and historical visual identity through a detailed taxonomy of lettering.   Further details can be found here: http://www.typographichub.org/research/entry/graphic-dna/
10) Could you describe your current creative practice/ideas/work?

Academic researcher in public lettering and typography in the environment and trying very hard to be an expert at just about everything... it’s the nature of research and the journey of gaining new knowledge.

11) Could you say a little about the work you have chosen to include in the Re: Call exhibition?

As so much of my work and study has been based around lettering and typography and the influence this has on our everyday lives and our environment I have produced a photographic print with all evidence of lettering removed. This work shows how type, lettering, signs and messages in the environment are so much a part of our visual language that they become almost invisible. By removing the signage and lettering from a Birmingham streetscape I hope to make people look again at the graphic landscape around with a slightly different perspective and understanding.


12) What are you working on at the moment? 

My academic research continues but my current focus is developing taxonomy database of my research to date, which has been a headache but I think I may have just climbed that mountain…time will tell, again the nature of academic research lots of peaks and dips to gain progress.

13) What are your creative plans for the future?

Independent exhibition of research to-date with accompanying lectures, type tours and presentations; and reading and then a bit more reading… But most importantly ensuring that I have contributed to the knowledge and understanding of public lettering and typography and completing my PhD with a publication that will inspire others with the passion for all things type and the beauty of lettering.

14) Is there anything else you would like to add? 

I do feel I was very fortunate to participate in this project to remind myself how special Bournville School of Art is.  I will always have very fond memories of my time there and the people I met, including life long friends that I acquired over that period.  And of course I will always have my ‘Bournville Art baby’, Edith to remind me of the learning curve and challenges it bought.