Re:Call 4 Interview Riitta Ikonen


Art has left the Building

Re:Call Interview



1) When were you at Bournville School of Art?

2001-2002


2) What course did you study here?

Foundation


3) Who were your tutors?
Steve Bulcock and Sean O’Keeffe

  
4) What area did you specialize in?

Visual Communication

  
5) What memories do you have of your first day at Bournville School of Art?

The building had just been nearly renovated when we started. There was no heating for quite some time, but it didn’t matter as we were so excited about it all. I remember life drawing classes where everyone worked with their mittens on. And those clear A2 folders that people would transport their drawings to and from school… I always thought the English were so brave and bold to have the drawings show to the whole world in those clear folders. I would never have dared to parade my work like that… I always turned my works to face inside.
Daffodils in the spring. I had never seen so many daffodils as there were in the green outside the school!



6) What memories do you have of your final show at Bournville School of Art?

Painting the white wall to put the work on and Learning what MDF means.

  
7) What piece did you do for your final show at Bournville and could you describe it?
(Do you have any images of that piece you would be happy to share for the AHLTB blog and eventually the website?)

I made a film about a little chicken. I think the file is somewhere still, but let’s maybe not bring it back to the light of day as it perhaps wasn’t one of the more shining moments of my career.


8) Could you give just five words to describe your experience at Bournville School of Art?
  
Green
Cheerful
Productive


9) Could you indicate what creative activity you have done since your time at Bournville?

Ba illustration
Ma communication art and design
Artist now. Cv here


10) Could you describe your current creative practice/ideas/work?

Originally from the deep eastern forests of Finland, I'm a fresh New Yorker and a keen collaborator working mainly with photographers and costumes for communicative purposes.



12) What are you working on at the moment?

Eyes as big as plates

and this



11) Could you say a little about the work you have chosen to include in the Re:Call exhibition?



and:

+ Bengt from my favourite series Eyes as Big as Plates



13) What are your creative plans for the future?

I’d like to show at the MoMa.



14) Is there anything else you would like to add?
  
Thank you so much for putting up a great show!
Xx