Re:Call 3 Interview Nikki Pugh


Art has left the Building

Re:Call Interview



1) When were you at Bournville School of Art?

2001-2006 (and 2000 at Ladywood Leisure Centre)


2) What course did you study here?

Portfolio Foundation (2 years part-time)
BA Art and Design by Negotiated Studies (mixture of full and part time)


3) Who were your tutors?

That question doesn't make much sense to me - I think I worked with most people at one time or another..


4) What area did you specialize in?

I didn't - that's why I chose Negotiated Studies!


5) What memories do you have of your first day at Bournville School of Art?

I kind of blurred in to starting at Bournville – our first year of Foundation was taught off-site due to the refurb, but I think I might have been doing silversmithing in the basement of Ruskin Hall at about that time too. The refurbishments hadn't really finished by the time we went back to Bournville, so I remember the  quad at Maple Road being a big pile of earth and diggers, plumbing not being connected, freezing cold studios and generally having to make the best of it. Character building!


6) What memories do you have of your final show at Bournville School of Art?

There was an Unfortunate Incident involving a nail and some paneling that had been put up with no gap between it and the radiator... I wasn't involved, but a valuable lesson there!

Also that I was working off-site at the University of Birmingham trying to sort out cock-ups with contractors and hydraulic platforms. Stressful!


7) What piece did you do for your final show at Bournville and could you describe it?

Collectively, my piece was called 'Three Texts'. It comprised 'untitled (testimony)', Day Science/Night Science' and 'Counsel for the Artist'. Intended to represent the year leading up to graduation, the present, and something of a manifesto for my practice in the years to come.

Three Texts

Three Texts

Day Science/Night Science


I still refer to 'Counsel...' in my work.


8) Could you give just five words to describe your experience at Bournville School of Art?

A lesson in self motivation.


9) Could you indicate what creative activity you have done since your time at Bournville?

I worked almost exclusively as a freelance artist up until the government cuts a few years ago. Now working in  part time jobs and freelancing around that. I also started an MA this academic year.


10) Could you describe your current creative practice/ideas/work?




11) Could you say a little about the work you have chosen to include in the Re:Call exhibition?

I started working with GPS technology in 2008. I'm interested in it as a material – how it has a grain, how it splinters, how it pushes back.

The drawings exhibited as part of Re:Call are traces of many hours spent walking around one of the 'Eastside' regeneration areas. I hold a GPS unit in each hand as I walk, recording the positions where they think they are each second. I join both positions for each moment in time with a line. Errors are introduced due to affects from my body and from the landscape, resulting in different characteristics of the lines as I'm walking through different types of surroundings: in built up areas the lines get longer and more haphazard as the GPS signal bounces off of buildings. In open areas, the lines are much shorter and more uniform as the effects from the fabric of the city are reduced.

Each drawing was made at a different time and can be read as a map. The changes in the 'fingerprint' of the area can be seen as car-parks are built, roads closed and buildings knocked down.

19264 seconds


12) What are you working on at the moment?


A project exploring connections to distant places. Identify those locations that resonate with you and, when you walk with one of these pods, they will shift their weight gently in your hands when you are walking in the direction of that location.


13) What are your creative plans for the future?


Mostly based around survival at the moment – trying to find a way of making an arts practice sustainable.



14) Is there anything else you would like to add?