Re:Call 1 Interview Karen McLean




Art has left the Building

Re:Call Interview



1) When were you at Bournville School of Art?

2001-2009. I did my Foundation Course as well as my Degree, part time.

2) What course(s) did you study here?

Foundation

BA(Hons) Art and Design by Negotiated Studies


3) Who were your tutors?

Nigel Prince
Joan Gibbons
Kevin Harley
Ruth Claxton
Kelly Large
Sean O’Keeffe

4) What area did you specialize in?

Mixed Media


5) What memories do you have of your first day at Bournville School of Art?

I was in the first class after Bournville had gone through a multi-million dollar refurbishment so it was exciting. I was just beginning my Foundation Course after not studying for 25 years, a bit daunting.


6) What memories do you have of your final show at Bournville School of Art?

It was a great year to graduate. We had a large class with many exciting artists.

7) What piece did you do for your final show at Bournville and could you describe it?

My final piece consisted of a large shack, which I placed on the green in front of the building. In my studio space I wall papered the walls with handmade screen printed wall paper. I used photographs from the Cadbury archives on one side on the other was a video called “Untitled”









8) Could you give just five words to describe your experience at Bournville School of Art?

Interesting, fun, challenging, enlightening and disappointing!


9) Could you indicate what creative activity you have done since your time at Bournville?

I have continued to work as a freelance professional artist. I have exhibited locally, regionally and nationally. I am now in the process of getting into a Masters Program in London.


10) Could you describe your current creative practice/ideas/work?

I did my first residency last May, however on my return I had several exhibitions and could not find time to really analyse the research I had done. I am now in the process of doing this and beginning a new body of work. My practice is concerned with Post-Colonialism, the home, self and identity.


11) Could you say a little about the work you have chosen to include in the Re:Call exhibition?


Primitive Matters

“The notion of primitivism is inseparable from the question of colonialism”
Primitive: Original Matters in Architecture. Odgers Jo, Samuel Flora and Sharr Adam 2006
Primitive Matters interrogates the vernacular architecture of the Caribbean. Known as “shacks, chattel houses or huts” this work questions the reasons behind the continued occupancy of these structures. Dating back to the 1800’s they originate from slavery with minute differences.
My interest lies in the use of architecture during colonisation as a symbol of cultural superiority. Primitivization of the “Other” was one of the discriminatory strategies used by the colonizer in order to support its claims of power. The process of colonisation occurred through subjugation and control of indigenous peoples, domination through power which left the dominated one as the inferior other: primitive. This process was achieved through a projection of European values in the form of religion, education, language and architecture. The Caribbean still attests to this through the colonial architecture left behind. Architecture that the colonisers used to impose their values on the indigenous people in an attempt to dominate, control and create “doubles”.  
Primitive Matters questions this process, here each hut has its own plinth honouring the creativity, resourcefulness and tenacity of the occupants who have and still continue to live in these small homes. Made from found materials they encapsulate the essence of the original shacks that are still indigenous to the Caribbean.   


12) What are you working on at the moment?

I am working on the research from my residency.


13) What are your creative plans for the future?

To continue working as a professional freelance artist.


14) Is there anything else you would like to add?

No